Classes + Events + Clubs
Upcoming Technique Classes
Best way to sign up for our Technique Classes is to call the store at
605-348-1010 to reserve your spot.
If you recently purchased a new sewing machine from The Sewing Center, call 605-348-1010 to register for your machine classes.
Classes + Clubs
We offer a wide variety of sewing classes, clubs and special events.
- Technique Classes – geared toward different sewing techniques on everything from garments and quilts to simple gift ideas.
- Machine Mastery Classes – for those customers who have purchased a new sewing machine from The Sewing Center. These classes familiarize you with all the features your new machine offers, plus present you with many possibilities for your stitches and embroidery.
- Sewing Clubs – All of our clubs are suited for ANY level. In addition, meeting times include work time, allowing you to get help with almost any project that has you stumped. So, JOIN IN!
- Block of the Month Series – invite you to expand and ignite your creativity and honing your quilting skills at the same time through a series of blocks, usually over the corse of 12 months, that make a complete quilt top.
- Special Events – these include product demonstrations, workshops, class preview parties, dealer events, trunk shows, and more. Perfect for any sewing enthusiast.
NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED!
All of our classes are focused on learning new techniques or skills. Some of our classes are better suited to be a first project for beginners than others. Each class description has a level of difficulty notation to help you decide what class will be perfect for you.
Class Levels of Difficulty
(B) – Beginner – Someone who has never sewn or quilted before can accomplish this in a class setting. We strongly recommend our Beginning classes to EVERYONE, regardless of skill level. Quilting and sewing are two distinct activities; success in one does not guarantee success in the other.
(AB) – Advanced Beginner – Someone who has some sewing/quilting experience, knows how to run their machine, understands sewing/quilting terms, is competent with a rotary cutter*, can sew a consistent ¼” seam, can match seams, has taken two to three Beginner classes.
(I) – Intermediate – Someone who can successfully cut out a sewing or quilting pattern without help, is competent with a rotary cutter*, has experience with piecing triangles, has taken four to five Advanced Beginner classes.
*Rotary Cutting is an essential skill for successful quilting and contributes greatly to both regular sewing and crafting projects. Competent means: able to make both left and right hand cuts, squares fabric before cutting, avoids “V’s” when strip cutting, and can comfortably master curves with a small rotary blade. The class Cutting Basics is an extremely helpful skill builder.
Basic Sewing Supplies to Bring to Class
Most class supply lists call for the “basic sewing supplies.” Here’s a list:
- Sewing machine in good working order
- Accessories that came with your machine
- Instruction manual for machine
- Seam ripper
- Seam gauge
- 90/14 quilting needles for quilting
- 80/20 universal needles for garment sewing
- 70/10 quilting needles for piecing
- Thread (neutral and/or matching)
- Rotary cutter, mat, and ruler(s)
- Scissors—both fabric and paper
- Hand sewing needles
- Paper and pencil
- Fabric marker (Chaco liner, Sewline fabric pencil, etc.)
- Stiletto or Purple Thang
- Measuring tape
- Any other of your preferred tools
Class + Event Refund Policy
Prepay for class to reserve a seat. Cancellations up to one week prior to class will be refunded.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you still have questions about the classes, events or clubs offered at The Sewing Center, please feel free to contact us by calling (605) 348-1010 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
* Please refrain from wearing perfume or scented lotion to classes, club meetings, and events.