Classes + Events + Clubs
We look forward to classes resuming soon!
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, all in-store classes have been put on hold until further notice.
Be the first to know when our event calendar changes. Sign up to receive notifications below.
Classes + Clubs
We offer a wide variety of sewing classes, clubs and special events.
- Technique Classes – geared toward different sewing techniques on everything from garments and quilts to simple gift ideas.
- Machine Mastery Classes – for those customers who have purchased a new sewing machine from The Sewing Center. These classes familiarize you with all the features your new machine offers, plus present you with many possibilities for your stitches and embroidery.
- Sewing Clubs – All of our clubs are suited for ANY level. In addition, meeting times include work time, allowing you to get help with almost any project that has you stumped. So, JOIN IN!
- Block of the Month Series – invite you to expand and ignite your creativity and honing your quilting skills at the same time through a series of blocks, usually over the corse of 12 months, that make a complete quilt top.
- Special Events – these include product demonstrations, workshops, class preview parties, dealer events, trunk shows, and more. Perfect for any sewing enthusiast.
NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED!
All of our classes are focused on learning new techniques or skills. Some of our classes are better suited to be a first project for beginners than others. Each class description has a level of difficulty notation to help you decide what class will be perfect for you.
Class Levels of Difficulty
B) – Beginner – Someone who has never sewn or quilted before can accomplish this in a class setting. We strongly recommend our Beginning classes to EVERYONE, regardless of skill level. Quilting and sewing are two distinct activities; success in one does not guarantee success in the other.
(AB) – Advanced Beginner – Someone who has some sewing/quilting experience, knows how to run their machine, understands sewing/quilting terms, is competent with a rotary cutter*, can sew a consistent ¼” seam, can match seams, has taken two to three Beginner classes.
(I) – Intermediate – Someone who can successfully cut out a sewing or quilting pattern without help, is competent with a rotary cutter*, has experience with piecing triangles, has taken four to five Advanced Beginner classes.
*Rotary Cutting is an essential skill for successful quilting and contributes greatly to both regular sewing and crafting projects. Competent means: able to make both left and right hand cuts, squares fabric before cutting, avoids “V’s” when strip cutting, and can comfortably master curves with a small rotary blade. The class Cutting Basics is an extremely helpful skill builder.
What Do I Need to Bring to Class?
Most class supply lists call for the “basic sewing supplies.” Here’s a list:
- Sewing machine in good working order
- Accessories that came with your machine
- Instruction manual for machine
- Seam ripper
- Seam gauge
- 90/14 quilting needles for quilting
- 80/20 universal needles for garment sewing
- 70/10 quilting needles for piecing
- Thread (neutral and/or matching)
- Rotary cutter, mat, and ruler(s)
- Scissors—both fabric and paper
- Hand sewing needles
- Paper and pencil
- Fabric marker (Chaco liner, Sewline fabric pencil, etc.)
- Stiletto or Purple Thang
- Measuring tape
- Any other of your preferred tools
Class + Event Refund Policy
Prepay for class to reserve a seat. Cancellations up to one week prior to class will be refunded.
* Please refrain from wearing perfume or scented lotion to classes, club meetings, and events.
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
"There are soooo many fabrics to choose from and great quality! The staff is super friendly, and the discount room doesn't hurt!" — Jenny Poker
"Fabric City/The Sewing Center came to my rescue again. I needed backing for a quilt I'm making for an October wedding gift & of course, they had exactly what I needed! the staff is so helpful, not sure what I'd do without the friendly advice..! Hugs to you all..! BTW the store had tons of quilts on display & lots of pretty fabrics!" — Pat Winter
"I can not say enough!! Fun and fantastic classes!! The fabric selection is awesome! The employees are very professional and knowledgeable. The sewing machines are top notch. The owners are professional and really make you feel at home at their Business. I had issues with my embroidery unit and the owners adjusted the tension and my embroidery unit works like a dream!! I highly recommend Fabric City and The Sewing Center!!" — Marla Knaup
"Every Time I am in Rapid City I make it a point to go here. I can't wait until I have time to take some of their classes." — Marie Hull
"Exceptionally customer focused & working hard to supply mask materials during the pandemic." — Marci Burdick